Apple Sauce

My kids LOVE chunky applesauce...and I have always felt rather comfortable giving it to them as a side with lunch or dinner, sometimes I'd even pour some over plain oatmeal to flavor it up.

As I continue to remove processed foods from my families diet I checked my applesauce to see if it was ok (I really thought it would be).

 REALLY....why...why do we need all that stuff added to APPLESAUCE?

Since that day at the commissary...I decided to just make my own.  Turns out to be a little less money also.

It's easy and doesn't require tons of ingredients.  The one thing I don't think I could live without is my apple peeler, slicer, corer (is that a word?).  It removes everything at once and has become a permanent fixture on my counter.  The kids even use when they just want to eat an apple.

I use 4 granny smith apples and 4 fuji apples, slice peel, and remove core.
Place in a pan on low heat, sprinkle with cinnamon, about 2 tablespoons of honey, 1 tsp of lemon juice.
Just let it simmer until they are soft, let them cool and put in my processor with enough water to get the consistency we like....
Apples with cinnamon and honey after simmering











viola....applesauce without the other junk!  I just pour it into a 32 ounce mason jar and store in refrigerator.  I don't know how long it would  remain fresh, it only lasts about 2-3 days in my house before it's gone :-)




Comments

Popular Posts