Yogurt~made easy :-)


This is what I used for my starter (the first time and whenever someone decides to eat my starter :-)  Notice that there are no extra ingredients here...

















I use Organic whole milk or 2% milk.  I pour the half a gallon into my crock pot and turn it onto high for 21/2 to 3 hours (temp 185 if you want to check with thermometer)





After specified time...unplug crock pot set timer for 3 more hours.  No need to take off lid or stir at this point, just leave it alone ;) This may be hard, because I am sure you want to look.  It's just warm milk at this point!






When the timer goes off, take a large scope of warm milk and mix with yogurt starter in a bowl until thoroughly mixed...pour into crockpot, place lid back on and cover with two towels to keep warm over night.
Here is my crock pot all wrapped up for the night.



In the morning I use my colander and a couple of paper towels (cheesecloth works better).  I line the colander with the paper towels and pour my yogurt into it.  I then place the colander back into the crock so that all the whey collects underneath.  after about 1-2 hours (depending on how thick you want it) I scoop my plain greek yogurt into individual jars for fruit topping.  Saving at least 1/4 cup as a starter for the next batch.





Whey drained off my yogurt





I save the whey...and use as a substitute in recipes asking for milk or buttermilk.  You know...like pancakes, biscuits, and muffins.
Notes:  I have burnt my yogurt by leaving on high too long - had to throw it all away :(I suggest you check how hot your crock to gets by using a thermometer to determine if 2 1/2 or 3 hours is sufficient) Should get to 185 not higher!
I will use gelatin to help thicken if I use fat free or 1% milk
I recently started adding 1/4 cup dry milk to my 2% at the beginning of this process for thicker low fat yogurt and everyone enjoys it very much.  Also, the plain yogurt can be used as a sour cream sub or used to make yummy dips :-)

I hope this helps get you started and you are successful with making it.  I used suggestions from several recipes before I finally got it right

Comments

Popular Posts